Hello everyone! Today is a very overdue review, as it has been sitting in my reading binder since April, waiting to be reviewed. I thought this book was definitely one of Glines’ most creative book she’s written. I’ve read 9 of her books so far and this was definitely the most interesting, different book I’ve read of hers. Her books usually have some drama in them, but this PLOT TWIST THOUGH!
Anyways, let’s just get on to the review because we have a lot to talk about.
Title: As She Fades
Author: Abbi Glines
Genre: New Adult, contemporary, romance
Publication Date: April 3, 2018
On the night of her high school graduation, Vale McKinley and her boyfriend Crawford are in a terrible car accident that leaves Crawford in a coma. They were supposed to spend the summer planning for college, for a bright future full of possibility. Together. Instead, Vale spends long days in the hospital, hoping Crawford will awaken.
Slate Allen, a college friend of Vale’s brother, has been visiting his dying uncle at the same hospital. When he and Vale meet, she can’t deny the flutter of an illicit attraction. She tries to ignore her feelings, but she’s not immune to Slate’s charm. Slowly, they form a cautious friendship.
Then, Crawford wakes up . . . with no memory of Vale or their relationship. Heartbroken, Vale opts to leave for college and move on with her life. Except now, she’s in Slate’s territory, and their story is about to take a very strange turn.
- Plot Twist! – That plot twist was just absolutely spectacular! I loved it, and it really wasn’t a type of plot twist I see a lot in books which double points for that! If you love a good plot twist, especially one you don’t expect to pop up from miles away, this book is for you.
- Slate – I loved Slate. Typical bad boy, bad ass male love-interest. If this were any other author, I wouldn’t enjoy it as much, but when you want to read Abbi’s books, you’re simply reading it to have a good time, get some drama in your life that’s not related to you, and read some good cheesy romance. Slate was perfect.
- The writing – I don’t know what it is but every time I pick up a new book of hers I think ‘maybe this will be the one where her writing isn’t so easy to read.’ But that day has never come! You’d think after 9 books it would right?? Nope. Every book’s writing seems to be better than the last. Whenever I’m in a slump I pick up her books and it always does the trick since she is just so easy to read.
- Unpredictability – I love when a book is unpredictable. Especially contemporary romances! Let’s just say, if you read this book and you predicted it, you are a genius haha.
- The headache that followed with this book – I had a massive headache after reading this book. Yes, the plot twist was awesome. Yes, it was unpredictable, but damn Abbi like you got to give me a moment to be able to breathe and relax! I’m not used to this with her books so definitely a little bit of a turn off for me.
- Rushed ending – The ending was rushed. I hate that in books and that’s why this book didn’t get the full 5 stars. The ending could have been stretched at least 20 pages longer.
Have you guys read any good books lately with AMAZING plot twists you didn’t see coming? Let me know in the comments!