Hi everyone! Really excited to write this review for you guys since I LOOOOOOVED this book!! Ahhhh yes, I think I could have possibly found a new series that means as much to me as maybe Caraval does…. It issss only the first book, but I have a really good feeling about this series.
Title: Renegades (Renegades #1)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Genre(s): Young Adult Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Publication Date: November 7, 2017
Start/End Date: September 3, 2019 – September 10, 2019
The Renegades are a syndicate of prodigies — humans with extraordinary abilities — who emerged from the ruins of a crumbled society and established peace and order where chaos reigned. As champions of justice, they remain a symbol of hope and courage to everyone… except the villains they once overthrew.
Nova has a reason to hate the Renegades, and she is on a mission for vengeance. As she gets closer to her target, she meets Adrian, a Renegade boy who believes in justice — and in Nova. But Nova’s allegiance is to a villain who has the power to end them both.
- Nova – I really enjoyed reading from Nova’s perspective and thank god that there was a lot of it. She has so much personality and honestly I think she’s one of the best written characters I’ve seen written in awhile.
- The story’s plot – I loved the idea this story was carrying on. I’m not that big into Sci-Fi books and honestly, Fantasy books either, but I was glad this story really held my attention and eventually helped me fall in love with it.
- The writing – Marissa Meyer!!!!!! YES! Honestly Marissa’s writing is getting onto the level of like Stephanie Garber and Shari Lapena for me. I can already tell she is going to be one of my new favorite authors.
- Diverse List of Characters – There were so many different characters in this book it was fantastic. Not just because of their superpowers, but because of who they were as people, superpowers aside. We had disability rep in this book that I think was done fantastically. A superhero with a disability… and the disability had nothing to do with his superpower and vice versa! Aghhh! I loved it! We have multiple different races, and a possible gay couple (I kind of don’t remember the detail if the two are a couple but our MC Adrian refers to them as his ‘dads’ so if I’m mistaken I’m sorry.)
- Pretty Cool Superpowers! – Yes, in superhero books you expect the typical invisibility power, the flying power, super strength and the list goes on… but in Renegades? There was a pretty good mix. Here’s a few to just list some off:
- Nova puts people to sleep and actually never goes to sleep
- Ruby forms crystals from her blood!
- Ingrid formed bombs
- Phobia can mess with your fears (haven’t really seen him in action)
- Honey controls her bees
- Narcissa can mirror jump! So cool!
- Wanted a more revealing ending -I thought the ending was a little lackluster. I kind of wanted a little more. I won’t say much about the ending because I really don’t want to give anything away but I just needed more.