Yay! Finally I’m back to reviewing ARC’s! I had so many stacked up and I was struggling to get some of these done. I’ve been on a roll with them lately and I’m super proud of myself for it. It definitely helped that this book was a graphic novel too!
*Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for sending me this copy in exchange for an honest review!*
Author: Suzanne Walker, Wendy Xu (Artist)
Format: eARC, Netgalley
Genre(s): Young adult, Fantasy, Graphic Novel, LGBTQ
Publication Date: October 15, 2019
Nova Huang knows more about magic than your average teen witch. She works at her grandmothers’ bookshop, where she helps them loan out spell books and investigate any supernatural occurrences in their New England town.
One fateful night, she follows reports of a white wolf into the woods, and she comes across the unexpected: her childhood crush, Tam Lang, battling a horse demon in the woods. As a werewolf, Tam has been wandering from place to place for years, unable to call any town home.
Pursued by dark forces eager to claim the magic of wolves and out of options, Tam turns to Nova for help. Their latent feelings are rekindled against the backdrop of witchcraft, untested magic, occult rituals, and family ties both new and old in this enchanting tale of self-discovery.
- The Illustrations – I thought the illustrations were actually pretty cute. It was almost different from what I see in the graphic novels that I usually read, so that was nice and refreshing.
- Use of Witchcraft – Lately every book I’ve read that has some form of witchcraft in it I’ve really enjoyed! First Undead Girl Gang and now this book? I think this may be a new trend I like. Hmm….
- Light & Enjoyable – Very light and fluffy. I know they are fighting a demon and there’s like a cult and everything, but I still found it really fluffy. Kinda weird I know lol.
- Rushed – Definitely needed more time and room for character development. I don’t think the two mc’s reached their full absolute potential during this.
- Needed More Background To Enjoy Relationship – The relationship was kind of bland due to me not understanding their past relationship.
- Deaf Rep Was Lacking – Our one MC was deaf and I almost forgot she was until she used it against one of the cult members in a fight. When that part happened I was so confused as to what she was pulling out of her ear, but then I remembered ‘oh she’s deaf’.
- The font – Really tough to read. Maybe it’s because I read it on a computer screen I don’t know.
I’m giving Mooncakes a 4 out of 5 spiderwebs!