What a cute fall read this was! Ahhh! So cute totally would recommend! Beautiful artwork and a really lovely story. Let’s get into the review!
Rainbow Rowell, Faith Erin Hicks (Illustrator)
Genre(s): YA Graphic Novel, Contemporary
Publication Date: August 27, 2019
Deja and Josiah are seasonal best friends.
Every autumn, all through high school, they’ve worked together at the best pumpkin patch in the whole wide world. (Not many people know that the best pumpkin patch in the whole wide world is in Omaha, Nebraska, but it definitely is.) They say good-bye every Halloween, and they’re reunited every September 1.
But this Halloween is different—Josiah and Deja are finally seniors, and this is their last season at the pumpkin patch. Their last shift together. Their last good-bye.
Josiah’s ready to spend the whole night feeling melancholy about it. Deja isn’t ready to let him. She’s got a plan: What if—instead of moping and the usual slinging lima beans down at the Succotash Hut—they went out with a bang? They could see all the sights! Taste all the snacks! And Josiah could finally talk to that cute girl he’s been mooning over for three years…
What if their last shift was an adventure?
- Very cute – I thought the whole idea of the story was pretty cute and I enjoyed the light hearted read.
- Artwork – I loved the illustrations! I need to check out more of Faith Erin Hicks illustrations that she has done because I think this is probably one of the best artistic wise graphic novels I have ever read.
- Deja – I loved Deja’s personality. Really funny and sweet with a hint of sass.
- Super funny
- Plus-Sized Character Rep – Yay! A MC Plus Sized character that I really enjoyed!
- Interracial Rep – Between Deja and Josie, of course. Also Deja and the first Jess.
- Bisexual Rep – Deja is bisexual.
- Food-Crazy Deja – Yes, she’s a plus-sized character… but why did she need to be a food crazy girl. Like yes, we get the fact she’s plus sized… you don’t need to keep shoving food down her mouth to make that more apparent.
- No backstory – I would have like to have seen more of these two characters backstory. Maybe when they were a little bit younger working at the patch or how they first met. Don’t just tell me about it, show me.
- The story – I thought the story itself was a little lackluster. Just running around the pumpkin patch to go try and talk to a girl? Seriously?
- Would have rather them stayed as friends